Viladamat has a Latin origin, Vila d’Amat (the farm-house of Amatus) Remains of this Roman period have been found in the village and its surroundings.
South of the village, the Roman villa of Tollagassos has been excavated recently It is considered one of the first agrarian settlements on the district built by the Romans. Some pottery and silos from the same period have been found in the urban area of Viladamat.
First written document referring to the village is from year 1060, in a donation made by the countess Guisla to the cathedral of Girona. One of the counts of the independent county of Empúries, Ponç the 1st, donated a farmhouse in Viladamat to the monastery of Sant Pere de Rodes in 1078. Then, in 1280, Guillem de Mongrí sold the jurisdiction of Viladamat to the same monastery.
The parish church of Sant Quirze is a building from the 18th C. with one nave and side chapels. The façade presents a large rectangular portal dated in 1760.
Closed to the church there are some remains of the palace where the delegated monk from the monastery of Sant Pere de Rodes was living. Probably the building was destroyed by a fire during the Catalan Civil War in 1467.
Through the streets of the old quarter of Viladamat many houses from the 16th C. can be admired, Gothic-Renaissance style windows and arched entrances.